Having a garbage disposal can be beneficial when it comes to managing food waste. Not only does a garbage disposal help reduce how much is thrown into landfills, but it also makes kitchen clean-ups easier and quicker. To get the most out of your garbage disposal in Bloomington, IL, maintenance is key. Below we’ll discuss some simple tips that will not only help prolong its life but also save you money! So if you’re looking for ways to squeeze the maximum usage out of your garbage disposal read on for 6 essential tips:
1. Avoid putting hard objects in the disposal: Hard items like egg shells, corn cobs, and potato peels can easily clog up your garbage disposal and cause it to malfunction. To avoid this, try to break down large pieces of food before throwing them into the disposal.
2. Use cold water while grinding: Hot water can cause grease and fat to congeal on the blades in your garbage disposal which can lead to a nasty smell. Instead, use cold water for a smoother grind process and better odor control.
3. Clean regularly: This is essential for getting rid of any leftover bits of food that may be stuck in the blades or pipes. For an easy clean-up job, simply fill your sink with a one-to-one ratio of vinegar and water, turn on your garbage disposal for a few minutes, then rinse the sink with cold water.
4. Use baking soda and lemon to deodorize: Pour some baking soda down the drain along with ¼ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice followed by two cups of boiling water. This will help eliminate any lingering smells while keeping your garbage disposal clean and functioning properly.
5. Avoid putting fibrous food into the disposal: Fibrous foods like celery, onions, and asparagus can easily get tangled up in the blades within your garbage disposal, potentially clogging it up or slowing it down. To save time and money, try to avoid throwing these types of foods down the drain whenever possible.
6. Don’t overload: If you find yourself dealing with a lot of food scraps at once, try breaking them up into smaller portions before putting them at your disposal. Too much food at one time can cause clogging and other issues that won’t make for an enjoyable clean-up session.
By following these simple tips, you can help ensure your garbage disposal lasts as long as possible while saving you money on unnecessary repairs or replacements. For more information on how to prolong the life of your garbage disposal near Normal or Bloomington, IL, contact a professional today.
Sunkel Plumbing: Your trusted plumbing partner in Bloomington, IL!
You’re only a call away from quality service and guaranteed satisfaction. Let us show you why so many people choose Sunkel for their plumbing needs like sump pump installation and garbage disposal services. Give us a call today at 309-829-5320 to get started or to know our sump pump cost in Bloomington, IL.