With the arrival of winter comes plummeting temperatures, unpredictable weather conditions, and increased demand for hot water. This can put a strain on home heating systems – as well as utility bills! The good news is that there are several easy steps you can take to make sure your hot water heater is ready for winter and working efficiently. Read on to learn some tips to save energy, money, and time by preparing your Bloomington, IL hot water heater before the coldest months arrive:
- Check the thermostat. Make sure your water heater’s thermostat is set to a temperature that’s comfortable for you, but not too high (aim for 120°F). This will help conserve energy and save money on your utility bill.
- Insulate exposed pipes. Insulating exposed hot water pipes and the tank itself can reduce heat loss and significantly improve the efficiency of your water heater.
- Flush the tank. Over time, sediment builds up in a water heater tank and can clog it, reducing its efficiency. To make sure your hot water heater is running smoothly, try flushing it out with a garden hose every six months or so.
- Check the pressure relief valve. This is a safety feature of your hot water heater that’s designed to keep excess pressure from building up in the tank. Make sure it’s clear and working properly by testing it every few months.
- Upgrade your system. If your hot water heater is more than 10 years old, consider upgrading to a more efficient model. Not only will this help save energy and money, but it can also prolong the life of your system. The tankless water heater installation cost in Bloomington, IL might be higher up front, but the long-term savings could make it worth it.
By following these simple tips and taking a few preventative measures before winter arrives, you can make sure your hot water heater is running efficiently and help reduce your utility bills. If you have any further questions about how to prepare your Bloomington, IL hot water heater for winter, feel free to contact a local expert for advice and assistance.
Sunkel Plumbing is a Bloomington, IL plumbing company that’s been helping homeowners with their hot water heater needs for several years. For more information on how to get your hot water heater ready for winter, contact us today at 309-829-5320.
We look forward to hearing from you!