Although putting your patience to the test, blocked bathroom sinks are a common household problem that is easily fixed. In most cases, the clog is caused by hair, soap scum, and other debris building up over time in the sink’s drain. Fortunately, there are several tips you can try before calling a plumber. Keep reading for helpful advice on how to unblock your bathroom sink.
- Use a plunger. A plunger is the most common tool used to unblock bathroom sinks. Make sure the plunger has a good seal around the drain and plunge up and down vigorously for 10-15 seconds. If the clog is not dislodged, try using a wet/dry vacuum.
- Try boiling water. Boil a pot of water and pour it down the drain. The boiling water will help break up the clog.
- Use a vinegar and baking soda mixture. Mix equal parts vinegar and baking soda in a cup and pour it down the drain. The fizzing action will help to dislodge the clog.
- Use a wire hanger. Straighten out a wire hanger and insert it into the drain. Twist and turn the hanger until the clog is dislodged.
- Use a snake. If none of the above tips work, you may need to use a snake to remove the clog. Insert the snake into the drain and slowly move it through the pipe until the clog is dislodged.
If you are still having trouble unblocking your bathroom sink, contact a plumber for assistance.
How do plumbers unblock your bathroom sink?
Most plumbers will use a plunger, boiling water, vinegar, and baking soda mixture or a snake to unblock your bathroom sink. If these methods don’t work, the plumber may use a hydro jetting tool to clear the blockage.
The hydro jetting method involves using high-pressure water to clear the clog. The tool is inserted into the drain and the water is turned on. The pressure from the water dislodges the clog and flushes it down the drain. This method is usually used for severe clogs.
Sunkel Plumbing has been providing quality plumbing services to the residents of Bloomington, IL for several years. We offer a wide range of plumbing services, from simple repairs to hydro jetting. Call us today at 309-485-4892 for all your plumbing needs!