Slab leaks are a common problem for homeowners. If not identified and repaired quickly, they can cause major damage to your home’s foundation. It is important to recognize the signs of slab leaks early so you can take steps to minimize any potential damage. In this article, we will discuss how to identify signs of a slab leak in Bloomington, IL, and what to do about it.
Signs of Slab Leak:
- Visible Water Damages – One of the most common signs of a slab leak is visible water damage on your walls, floors, or ceiling. This could include stains, discoloration, bubbling paint, cracks in the floor or walls, and more.
- Unusual Sounds in Walls and Floors – Sometimes you may hear strange sounds coming from the walls and floors such as trickling, running water, or squeaking noises. These are typical signs of a slab leak and indicate that there is water running through the pipes beneath your home’s foundation.
- Increase in Water Bills – A sudden increase in your monthly water bills can also be an indication of a slab leak under your property.
What to Do About a Slab Leak:
- Contact a Professional Plumber – The first step in tackling a slab leak is to contact a professional plumber who specializes in water leakage service in Bloomington, IL. The plumber can identify the source of the leak and suggest the best course of action for fixing it.
- Turn Off Your Water Supply – Once you know where the leak is coming from, turn off your home’s main water supply valve before attempting any repairs so that you avoid further damage.
- Make Temporary Repairs – Depending on the severity of the slab leak, you may need to make temporary repairs until your plumber arrives. This could include sealing visible gaps or cracks with epoxy sealant or even temporarily replacing the damaged pipes with a temporary water line.
- Repair the Pipe – Once your plumber arrives, they can assess the situation and determine whether to repair or replace the broken pipe. If it is determined that it needs to be replaced, then the plumber will do so using a process called “trenchless excavation” which involves digging out small trenches from each side of the affected area and joining them with a new pipe.
- Re-instate Your Water Supply – Once all repairs have been completed, your plumber will re-instate your home’s water supply and you can go back to using your plumbing system as usual.
Slab leaks can be a major headache for homeowners, but if you take steps to identify the signs of a slab leak early and contact a professional plumber as soon as possible, you can minimize any potential damage caused by the leak. Remember to turn off your home’s water supply before attempting any repairs and make sure to follow all instructions carefully when it comes time to repair or replace the broken pipe.
Sunkel Plumbing is experienced in water leak service and slab leak repair in Normal and Bloomington, IL. Contact us today at 309-829-5320 to get started on any slab leak repair project you may have.